TheBestronics is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.
Bring a social change with comfy clothing. Wearing a t-shirt is a random dress, but is popular due to the comforts it adds. Also, it expresses one’s identity and assists in conveying a personalized message. But wearing a new t-shirt may feel uncomfortable, right? Try softening a t-shirt with DIY hacks. Learn the best techniques below for how to soften a t-shirt in an effective way.
Softening shirts of all blends is not a hustle; you can perform it at home with different materials and ingredients present in your kitchen. Feel silky and light.
5 Methods of Softening Different T-shirts Blend
Remain free of sweat with such easy-to-perform softening techniques we are going to list for all kinds of t-shirt blends. Choose one that you seem more effortless for you.
1- Vinegar Wash
Washing out a T-shirt with a vinegar wash is an easy and cheap way to soften your cotton blend. Vinegar is a pantry item that can easily be available in kitchen cabinets.
Let’s dive into steps of how to soften t-shirts with vinegar:
- Take a cup of vinegar and spoon full of baking soda
- Take a large bowl, add baking soda, then gradually add vinegar.
- Wait and let the solution effervescent
- After that, check the solution and make sure there should be no lumps.
- Check the ph and temperature level first, then add t shirt for 2 minutes. Dry the shirt and distinguish the difference!
2- Brine Solution
How to make a shirt look vintage? Brining and salt solution both are the same techniques used for putting in a new look to t-shirts. This method is time-consuming, but it’s a versatile procedure that works for dress and screen-printed shirts made of cotton and polyester.
Let’s see does brining t-shirts work?
- Add a cup of salt to a large pot containing water. Stir the salt until it gets dissolved.
- Turn on the heat and let the solution reach boiling
- Wet the t-shirt with normal water, then sink it into the solution. Furthermore, turn the flame to low heat and wait for 45 minutes.
- As time out, drain the shirt and rinse it off with cold water to remove excess salt. It’s ready to go!
3- Pumice Stone
Soften your shirts faster with this imaginative and pretty simple technique. Pumice stones are used in pedicures, but you can use them as a quick solution for a rough blend.
- Take a single piece of stone and run it all over the garment.
- Then make a solution from any fabric softener and water.
- Soak the shirt in this solution overnight.
- The next day run it through a regular wash, and there you go!
Don’t scrub the printed area with stone otherwise, it will break down the fabric fibers.
4- Sandpaper ( Scouring Pads)
For good results, this method is very effective for lettering shirts. But you have to repeat the process at least two times to get a softer t-shirt.
Make your fabric breathable with mentioned sandpaper softening tips:
- Scrub the shirt with a scouring pad without disturbing the printed area.
- Fill the hot water in the washing machine and add a mixture of a quarter cup of washing soda and one cup of salt in it.
- Put the fabric into the machine and adjust the machine for cycling wash.
- After that, drum dry the fabric on high heat.
- Repeat the process one more time to enjoy the vintage feel.
5- Air (tumble) Dry
Get stretch-free softening with tumble dry. It preserves the quality of fabric and is an eco-friendly process.
If you are allergic to soap, you should go for tumble dry.
You can tumble dry your t-shirts with two different methods
- Add any fabric softener to a washing machine, then wash the t-shirt on normal washing mode.
- Hang the shirt until dry up.
- Set the tumbling mode on the washing machine and put some tennis balls to add good beats to the fabrics.
- Or you can add a cup of evaporated or dry milk instead of balls into the washing machine for a tumble dry that adds delicate feelings to fabrics.
Make your t-shirts more wearable with above mentioned easy-to-carry procedures. Before softening t-shirts, find out their blends whether made from cotton, rayon, or polyester because different blends have different techniques to treat them. Figure out the best technique for how to soften a t-shirt according to your desired t-shirt.